Should I be using different social networks? There are a few reasons why you should ask yourself this question. As we’ve discussed previously, COVID-19 has had a massive impact on how social media is being used. Not to mention, how users respond to content. New research shows that it’s not just what types of content and how people are engaging. It shows that some social media platforms are thriving while others are losing their popularity. 

In this article, we’re going to discuss the social networks thriving during the COVID-19 lockdown. Plus why you should try changing your focus to promote your business via these thriving networks.


What the Research is Showing

Research shows that engagement rates on Twitter are skyrocketing across multiple industries. Industries including media, leisure, social media influencers, and fashion. One of the main reasons for increased engagement is tipped to be because companies are turning to Twitter to provide fast and effective customer support. But, that said, this is having a knock-on effect. As people are now spending more time on Twitter than other platforms.

Research by Influencer Marketing Hub shows that during the lockdown, 34% of people have shifted their social media time from Instagram to Twitter. The main reason for the shift is because Twitter is a more news-focused platform. Therefore, it allows people to stay updated every second on the latest pandemic-related news and government announcements.

With more people shifting their social media time to Twitter, there is a tremendous amount of opportunity for you.  Especially if you fine-tune your business’s Twitter strategy. This way you make the most of the increase in engagement.


Twitter Strategy Tips for Your Business

Twitter is unique in terms of what content works best on the platform. Unlike Instagram and Facebook, which are very driven by visuals, Twitter users also like to engage with simple text-only posts. In other words, you can add simple test-base tweets as part of your strategy.

For those of you having a hard time taking advantage of Twitter, here are some tips to get you started.


#1 Post frequently

You are likely used to scheduling 1-2 posts a day for both Facebook and Instagram.  And you would be 100% right in doing so.  As those users don’t want to be bombarded with posts. 

However, Twitter is very different. For instance, you can post 10-20 times a day and see a positive impact on your engagement. 

Not all of these posts have to be well-thought-out. Nor do they need to be articulated perfectly. However, they do have to come across as natural and authentic — meaning you can be casual with your language.


#2 Use text-based posts 

As we’ve discussed previously, text-based posts are more common-place on Twitter than Instagram. This makes it so much easier when it comes to content ideas. 

Simple tweets, including list-based posts, can work really well and get some decent engagement numbers.

Try asking your audience questions. Either fun questions or something relating to what users would like to see you provide. Bonus tip: Use Twitter’s poll feature when asking questions. 


#3 Engage with other brands, influencers, and followers

Twitter makes engaging with other users much more natural than other social media platforms. Which is why it’s a great way to communicate with other brands, influencers, and followers. In many ways, it’s the perfect networking tool. 

Make proactively communicating with other Twitter users a big part of your strategy, as it will help you to cultivate a community surrounding your brand quickly. 


#4 Stick to the 80/20 rule 

While you should be posting more frequently on Twitter than other social media platforms, it’s essential to keep the 80/20 rule in mind.

The 80/20 is where 80% of the content you post is providing value to your audience without directly promoting your business. The other 20% of your posts can be promoting your business. This rule works so well because users want to feel like they’re engaging with an authentic brand that values their support. If you’re posting too much content that advertises your business, your followers will be put off as it isn’t adding any value to them. They’ll most likely stop engaging with you.


Optimizing Your Marketing Strategy

By optimizing your marketing strategy for Twitter, you can take full advantage of the opportunities presented by people utilizing the platform more than other social networks.

For a more in-depth look at what you can do to boost your Twitter profile, check out the 7 Ways to Grow Your Online Profile with Twitter.

If you’re looking for more ways to optimize your digital marketing strategy, take a look at the latest blog on the topic of
marketing budget and strategy optimization


Written by Lewis James