In this episode Naully Nicolas, a good friend of mine, joins me from Switzerland. This was a fun episode that was several months in the making. Naully is one of the most decisive action takers that I have ever met. When he gets an idea in his head, his time to implementation is very short which is a really good thing. Most people talk about what they are going to do and he just does it. I love surrounding myself with people like this.
Naully talks about his journey into entrepreneurship and about digital marketing in today’s online landscape. We get into social media marketing for the startup community and chat about the simple things that all new businesses should be doing. This is another episode that you will not want to miss.
Listen to the audio
Conversation Notes from this Episode
- Entrepreneurship is a long journey. People see all the perks, but it can be a rough road starting out.
- Patience is very important when you are first getting started. It takes a lot of sacrifice, and you need to be strong to take the road. If you want the money and control of your time, it is an uphill climb to get there, but worth it. If it was easy everyone would do it.
- Partnerships are not always the best way to go. For Naully, there were issues since they were not at the same level of commitment to the business.
- Biggest thing you can do for digital marketing now is to stand out from the noise.
- On social media platforms you have to be relevant and build a relationship with your followers. Let them see you are human! Live video is a great way to do this, as it shows you are real and genuine. You cannot fake this, and your followers will recognize that.
- Three platforms Naully recommends for startups are:
- Facebook groups are a great way to connect with your followers and create your own community.
- Three best tips for startups, in regards to digital marketing that are low cost or free:
- Be on Instagram, share your journey with your followers. Show not every day is great, and the struggle you go through. Be honest when you have some doubts.
- Don’t just talk about the products but how the product will affect the world or how the world will see the products. Don’t make it about you, make it about them.
- Storytelling is very important, and people love stories. Humanize your story and people can relate better.
- Everyone should travel! It helps to show us different people than the ones in our community. It also can show us how to truly be grateful for everything we have, and the things we take for granted.
A self-taught digital marketing expert, with years of professional experience in the world of technology. For over a decade, he worked in IT for a number of world-class companies. From desktop support to web design to social media, he has done it all, and through it have learned the ins and outs of software, hardware, and the digital marketing world.
Now, he has combined his passions of travel, marketing and communications strategic marketing to work as a consultant and speaker. While he works with all industries, his particular focus is in training members of the tourism industry in the effective use of new technologies (web, social media, mobile) to market destinations.