This was a cool episode for me. It took me a couple of weeks for us to get Laura scheduled and then I had to cancel! My computer woes that have since been fixed, flipped my world upside down for about a week and I could not podcast. She was quick in rescheduling, which I really appreciate. This episode is a nice reminder of how regular people can build extraordinary companies by working hard and trusting their instincts. I love stories like this and this is exactly why I do what I do. This platform gives me the opportunity to share these stories with listeners all over the world and I am grateful for that. I believe a lot of people really believe that this type of success is not possible for them. Laura says otherwise and I believe that for you too!
Conversational Notes from This Episode
- As a new freelancer, have a figure at the back of your head and consistently work with that figure in mind to get yourself to that point and to help you stay accountable
- You have to have the drive to chase the money yourself and gain the confidence
- Fear of failure and lack of discipline is a big component for freelancers, side hustlers, and start-up entrepreneurs
- Experience makes it much easier to move through the challenges you face
- No matter what you do in life, there is going to be that inner voice in your head. You just have to figure out brain hacks to work around that
- The greatest recurring challenge going into full-time freelancing was figuring out how to have a schedule and to set boundaries that worked for herself, clients, friends and family members
- Tune into what you’re good at
Listen to the Audio
Since launching her freelance writing career in the summer of 2012, Laura has worked for hundreds of clients all over the world, developing top-notch copy and helping drive traffic to their website. She has created a flexible career where she chooses when and who to work for. After being featured as a freelance success story on Elance, Writer’s Weekly, and Business Insider, Laura became the go-to for freelancers looking to rapidly expand their businesses and leave their full-time jobs. Through her programs and 1:1 coaching, Laura teaches new and established freelancers how to hone their craft to make more money in less time.
Check out Laura’s website, and take advantage of the free resources that she offers to people just like you. Even though she offers these resources, sadly many people who listen to this episode won’t take advantage of them. I believe that you are different, though. Since you have made the effort to check out these show notes, take your effort a step further and check her site out as well.
See you on the other side!