In this episode, I chat it up with Heather Havenwood about her business, her podcast and her personal journey into entrepreneurship. Heather and I discuss where most startups get things wrong with marketing and she even shares 3 free ways that you can streamline your sales and marketing efforts. This episode is full of laughs, quick wit, and engaging conversation. Do not take my word for it, so listen and see for yourself.
Conversation Notes from this Episode
- Heather shared her story of how she went from losing everything to owning 4 different businesses.
- “You are not a tree you can move”. If you are not happy with where you are, then leave.
- Heather went into the corporate world after college, and got into the “big boy’s” game. From having a boss that couldn’t see her worth, to being penalized for being more successful than the men, Heather realized it was time to go into business for herself.
- If you went up to an NFL player and said that you wanted them to play in the NFL but didn’t want them to get hit, they would tell you it wasn’t possible. You are going to get hit. You cannot be successful in sports without falling or getting hit. Starting a business is the same, you are going to get hit or you aren’t playing the game.
- In today’s society internet marketing should be 70/30, or maybe 80/20 of it.
- The more high tech we go the more high touch people want in marketing.
- When the pack moved to internet marketing remember it leaves the old ways of marketing available. Don’t forget about direct mail, radio and other older forms of marketing.
- People see the “Instagram lifestyle” and think I want to own my own business so I can be sitting on a beach somewhere and doing very little work. That isn’t really accurate anymore. Businesses require a lot of work, you just may be able to do the work from various locations.
- When a business is first starting out, always remember to FOCUS ON MARKETING! A lot of people tend to focus on their product, but forget about the rest. Who is it appealing to? What is your price point? Is your name easily searchable? Don’t get so caught up in your product you forget about the rest.
- Heather is not a fan of free social media marketing. Free marketing on social media is really just posting, and tends to exhaust your friends and family. When posting to social media it works more like a billboard than marketing. Paid ads on social media are different, and are more successful but may cost money you don’t have in the beginning.
- As with anything in life it is extremely beneficial to have a coach. Think of peewee football. You wouldn’t throw a bunch of kids on the field, with no direction and say “go play football”. They need a coach to help them through it. Starting a business is the same way, having a coach is necessary and extremely helpful for a new business.
- Three 3 free ways that new businesses can streamline sales and marketing efforts today:
- Cold calling. Pick up the phone and dial. Build a LinkedIn list and start calling.
- There is no replacement for human interaction. Get in front of people, speak in front of marketing groups. Get in front of someone and look in their eyes to see if they like it or reject. It is a great way to get real feedback.
- Email marketing. This can be free, but can also sometimes require money as well.
Heather’s new book “Sexy Boss- how the empowerment of women is changing the Rule Book for sex, money, and success”. As a special gift for the Intentionally Inspirational Listeners you will get 3 free chapters of her audio book!
For our US listeners, text “SEXY’ to 72000 and receive 3 audio chapters to your smartphone. For listeners outside the US, go to sexybossinc.com to claim your 3 free chapters. Her book is available on both Amazon and Audible.
Heather Havenwood, CEO of Havenwood Worldwide, is a serial entrepreneur and is regarded as a top authority on internet marketing, business strategies and marketing. Since marketing her first online business in 1999, bringing together clients and personal coaches, she has played an active role in the online marketing world since before most even had a home computer.
In 2006 she started, developed and grew an online information marketing publishing company from ground zero to over $1 million in sales in less than 12 months. Starting without a list, a product, a name or an offer, Heather molded her client into a successful guru now known as an expert in his field.
Heather Ann has been named by a few as an ‘Icon Creator’ or the ‘Wizard Behind the Curtain’. She has instructed, coached and promoted hundreds of entrepreneurs leading them down the path to success. She has produced and managed over 350 seminars and events and hosted tele-seminars with many top online thought leaders.
Heather is the Author of…”Sexy Boss: How the empowerment of women is changing the Rule Book for sex, money and success” and “The Game of Dating and How to Play it: A rule book for divorced men stepping back into the game”.