This episode will always be a special one for me personally because it marks the 1-year anniversary of the show. It was also the most difficult show that I have ever produced because of a series of unrelated technical issues. I actually had to replace my computer before I could even finish creating this episode, which is ridiculous!
Now, let’s focus on our amazing guest!
J. Michael Collins is a super down to earth guy and such a professional at the same time. It’s a refreshing mixture of qualities and attributes that you do not see every day and for that reason, I am mentioning it here. I once considered pursuing voice talent work as a significant piece of my overall income stream, but I haven’t done so to this point. I have successfully landed a few jobs, but talking with J. Michael showed me how high that bar really is. It’s way up there and I see nothing wrong with really reaching for what you want out of life.
Inspiring Tips & Highlights
- Take the time to get the training you need, and seek out an honest evaluation of your natural abilities.
- Buyers are looking for something that is much more authentic and believable, so being able to connect with copy, being able to create a character, being able to be real is the coin of the realm.
- Because of the way technology has evolved, there is far more work out there than there is quality talent to do it, so if you have the chops, you can make it in the voiceover business but you have to be sure it is right for you.
- In business, you have to have a confident mindset and an approach that believes you are going to succeed while maintaining a customer service based approach.
- Trust what you’re doing and be confident in where you’re going to wind up.
- Voiceover work is a lot like golf. If you get up on the tee box, think about what you’re going to do and hesitate – you’re probably going to kill a duck!
- The more irons you have in the fire… the more revenue streams that you have, the better off you’re going to be.
- Do not neglect the business of the business.
And there is just so much more! It took a few months to get this conversation setup and as usual, I feel like it was worth the wait. If you would like to get in touch with J. Michael yourself, check out his website at jmcvoiceover.com or send him an email at email@example.com.
Listen to the Audio
With over twenty years as a professional voiceover artist, J Michael Collins has worked with some of the biggest companies, brands, sports leagues, and organizations on the planet. In addition to his work in the classic, agency-based world of VO, J. Michael has established himself as the top authority on the subject of online voiceover casting. Also recognized as an industry-leading coach and demo producer, J. Michael was the winner of the 2016 VoiceArts Awards for Outstanding Radio Commercial-Best Voiceover, Outstanding Political Announcement-Best Voiceover, and was the producer of 2016’s Outstanding Narration Demo.